Friday, September 5, 2008

Disappointing Journalism

This morning the following article was published in the East Valley Tribune...I decided to do something about it.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/124886

Here is what I wrote to the author of the article:

Dear Mr. Griffiths-

I am writing this in hopes that I am not the only one in the East Valley that was more than disgusted with not only the topic of the story you decided to cover, but the length as well. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and one who has served a two-year mission representing the church, I understand that there are many people in this world who, for whatever reasons of their own, are opposed to everything that we believe in. It would be wrong if members of the Church published articles in newspapers about how wrong other churches are, or founded support groups for those who are "misled from other faiths" but we do not believe that, nor do we take such action.

I have a question for you, Lawn, could you please explain to me (and I'm not even asking for a long explanation) why you saw it so necessary in today's highly charged and headline filled time, to dedicate a full page (8 pages from the front page) to a group concerned about Mormons who realized they didn't have faith and decided to leave? I say again, I am fully aware that there are people out there who have disagreed and currently disagree with our beliefs, Mormon and those not of our faith. But, and ths is where I hope I am not the only one who noticed this, it appears as though by you publishing this extensive article (the RNC hardly beat your article in coverage!!! The race for the next President of the United States for crying out loud!!!) you too are concerned about all those wayward Mormons and their crazy beliefs. Not once in your article did you publish any facts about how many people unite themselves annually with the church...almost 300,000. Ask our dear and concerned friends how concerned they are about that. I ask you to ask them, Mr. Griffiths, because you seem to be equally concerned as you saw fit to announce your concerns on a large scale to the entire East Valley.

There have been few times in my life when I have read something so lacking of logical reasoning and true journalistic character than when I read your article this morning. You yourself as a writer and as an supposed journalist should probably take a step back and re-read your article. I hope that there is some glimmer of a chance that you too will realize how ridiculous the concept is of spending that much of the periodical on your story, especially with so many other topics that could have been covered.

Again I am appalled and disgusted with your remarks, and myself along with my parents, many friends, and many family both within and without the membership of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, am serisouly reconsidering my initial decision of subscribing to this newspaper. I am sending a copy of this article to the editor of the paper as well as many of my associates in hopes that you will be reprimanded in some way for your decision to take so much space covering a topic of little value. I am fully within my right mind to request either an apology from you, or some kind of article written in response covering the many thousands of people in the East Valley who have found just the opposite of everything said in your article. I for myself have found the utmost peace, joy, and happiness as a member of this church. It is sad that our dear friend didn't find his faith to be as strong, but there are thousands who daily receive witnesses that Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior. Millions have experienced renewed faith in Jesus Christ and serve Him daily. I and many others have feelings just as strong or stronger in the support of the truthfulness of the doctrines of this church, than do those who vehemently oppose our beliefs and seek to undermine them on a global scale.

It is sad that a single publication, such as yours, could dissuade any number of people to withdraw themselves from the periodical as a whole. But regretfully, Mr. Griffiths, that is exactly what you have done.

Regards,

Michael Hale

If you have any questions or comments for me, I can easily be reached at:
mahale@asu.edu
home- 480.834.3041
cell- 480.390.5345

4 comments:

Taylor Allen said...

I think its a terrific letter...still way confused why they would ever print an article like that though.

Katy Kathryn said...

"Let them eat cake..." Good for you for voicing your opinion.

Katie said...

You probably don't remember me, but I'm a friend of Diana's. I hink you should post more blogs though. I like to read them!

Stacie S-H said...

Yay way to go - thats an awesome letter. did you ever get a response?